About Lap Swimming
Instructional Pool (the warm pool): 87 degrees, 6 lanes at 25 yards
Performance Pool (the cool pool): 80 degrees, 11 lanes at 25 yards
Lanes are dedicated to Lap Swimming in the Performance Pool and the Instructional Pool seven days per week year-round with a lifeguard on duty at all times. We observe circle swimming when there are more than two swimmers per lane. The number of lanes for Lap Swimming varies according to scheduled activities in each pool, but during the times listed on the Schedule & Pricing page, you will find designated lap lanes. Look for the yellow cones on deck.
Open Swimming for Lap Swimmers
If you are registered to pay for laps monthly, you can come to Open Swim any time. Choose to swim laps or play with your kids — your time in the pool is already paid for. Even drop-in fees are good all day for both Laps and Open Swim.
Safety Protocols for COVID-19
Burgess Pool is fully reopen as of July 5, 2021. At this point, all current Covid-19 restrictions and safety protocols are no longer be in effect.
Updated – 5/20/23 – English
Schedule & Pricing for Burgess Pool Lap Swim
|Monday – Friday||6:00am – 8:00pm|
|Saturday/Sunday||6:00am – 5:00pm|
|Monday – Friday||6:00am – 3:45pm|
|Saturday||6:00am – 1:00pm|
|1:30pm – 5:00pm|
|Sunday||6:00am – 5:00pm|
Senior (60+): $8
Monthly Membership: $65
Senior Membership (60+): $52
Senior (60+): $9
Monthly Membership: $72
Senior Membership (60+): $61
Check-In at Burgess Pool
Burgess Pool at Menlo Swim & Sport features a check-in system requiring a check-in card. Please ask the front desk any questions you might have.
Swim Pro Lessons and Summer Open Swim Space
Lap swimmers may be affected by Swim Pro lessons because a lap lane is reserved for our Swim Pro students. During summer, we extend our Open Swim hours to create more room for recreational swimming. Lap swim lanes may be reduced during busy Open Swim hours. Thank you for understanding that our entire community is anxious to share limited and valuable pool space.
If you would like to cancel your Lap Swimming membership completely, please fill out the online Cancellation Form. Cancellation requests may also be taken in person through the Service Center, (650) 781-5525. Cancellation requests must be submitted by the 15th of current month to terminate recurring payment/membership for the following month.
Policies & FAQs
All payments are non-refundable. Each billing period is 30 days from the day the membership starts. There are no pro-rated refunds for mid-month cancellations.
Updated – 5/20/23 – English
Cancellation requests must be submitted by the last day of current cycle (month) to terminate recurring payment/membership for the following billing cycle (month). Please fill out this form if you’re looking to cancel your membership. You may also cancel your membership in person with a Service Center representative.
Please help ensure a great experience for everyone. Before you send your young swimmers to the pool, be aware that we wish to maintain high standards for conduct with emphasis on safety. We encourage behavior that is respectful and mature, and our guards will enforce safety rules with regard to running on deck, roughhousing and courtesy.
Children 5 years and under must have a parent/guardian in the pool, within arm’s reach at all times.
Children 6 – 12 years must have a parent/guardian on the pool deck supervising them, unless they are attending a registered class or program.
Lap Swimming during Open Swim
Adults who pay for Open Swim are welcome to swim laps during Open Swim times without paying extra fees. Alternatively, you can register and pay for Lap Swim membership on a monthly basis which automatically gives you all day access to the pools.
Q: How many lap lanes do you have?
A: The Performance Pool has 11 lanes at 25 yards and the Instructional Pool has 6 lanes at 25 yards.
Q: What temperature is the pool kept at?
A: The Performance Pool is kept at 80 degrees Fahrenheit . The Instructional Pool is kept at 86 degrees Fahrenheit.
Q: Are your pools salt water or chlorine?
A: All of our pools are chlorine.
Q: Do you have lockers where I can store my belongings?
A: Yes. We have several lockers located in our changing rooms and out on the pool deck. We recommend you bring a lock.
Q: When is the best time to swim?
A: Mid-morning to mid-afternoon is typically the least busy for lap swimming.
Q: I am a monthly member. Do I need to do anything to carry my membership into 2023?
A: Your monthly membership is recurring so there is no action needed from you to continue your membership into 2023.
General Pool Rules
- No swimming allowed unless a lifeguard is on duty.
- Children ages fourteen (14) and under must be supervised by an adult at all times while at the pool facility.
- Children 5 years and under must have a parent/guardian in the pool, within arm’s reach at all times.
- Roughhousing, shoving, and dunking are not allowed. No pushing or pulling into the pool, hitting with noodles or other objects.
- No spins, flips, belly flops, back dives, or back jumps.
- No long breath holding, hyperventilating, or extended underwater swimming is allowed.
- No playing, swinging, jumping, or diving on stairs, ladders, or railings.
- No diving into the Instructional Pool. Jump in feet first, facing forward only.
- Water wings and other inflatable devices are not allowed. Only Coast Guard approved flotation devices are permissible and must be provided by the patron.
- Non-toilet trained children must adhere to the double diaper policy. They must wear a water-proof diaper and a diaper cover; a swim suit over the diaper counts as a diaper cover.
- Swimmers must wear proper swim attire at all times.
- No glass or ceramic containers are allowed anywhere in the facility.
- No running or skipping on deck. Walk at all times to avoid accidents.
- No unauthorized swim lessons or coaching.
- Please do not visit with or distract the lifeguards. If you have questions, inquire inside at the Front Desk.
- Only lifeguards who are properly trained are allowed on lifeguard chairs.
- No sitting on, pushing down, or swimming over lane lines.
- Kickboards, pull buoys and fins provided by Menlo Swim and Sport are for lap swimming only. They are not allowed in open swim areas.
- Starting blocks are for use by competitive programs only when directly supervised by a qualified coach.
- No smoking (including electronic cigarettes), alcohol, or drugs allowed in the facility.
- No food or drink on the pool deck. Eating is permitted on tables, benches and grassy areas.
- Bicycles, skateboards, in-line skates, and other vehicles are not allowed to be operated in the pool area and must be walked while on deck.
- No dogs or other pets are allowed in the facility except service animals.
- Persons currently having active diarrhea or who have had active diarrhea within the previous 14 days shall not be allowed to enter the pool water.
- Changing clothes on deck is not allowed.
- In the event of an emergency, follow directions from the staff.
- Any action or behavior that is deemed unsafe or inappropriate by the aquatics staff will not be allowed. All aquatics staff have full authority over guests using the pool area and as situations warrant, they may enforce rules not listed.
- The Pool Manager on Duty may close the entire pool complex or any portion(s) of the pool complex, for any safety or maintenance reason.
- Please respect the rights of others to feel safe and secure.
- Please refrain from using profanity or offensive language, loud conversations or music, inappropriate public display of affection, or any other disruptive behavior
- Admission price is for one entry only. No in and out privileges.
- Menlo Swim and Sport, Team Sheeper, Inc. and City of Menlo Park are not responsible for any lost or stolen personal items and assume no liability for the loss or theft of a patron’s personal belongings.
- Lockers are provided to secure personal belongings; guests may bring locks for use on lockers. All locks must be removed at the end of the day.
- Locker rooms will close 20 minutes after the pool closes.
- Emergency doors are to remain closed and be used in case of emergency only.
- Emergency doors, facility doors, storage areas, and safety equipment are not to be blocked by guests or objects.
- Please dispose of all trash in receptacles provided.
- Restrooms and locker rooms may not be used for loitering or other unintended uses. Cell phone use in locker rooms is prohibited
- Offices and areas marked as “Employees Only” are not for use by the general public unless approved by staff.